Not too many people give out awards for being a SAHM, and it has been a long time since I received the “Most Valuable Typist” award in the 9th grade, so I was super surprised to receive this Tweet recently:
That’s right, I have received the honor of being nominated for a Liebster Award. Although I wasn’t entirely sure what I Liebster award was, it was an honor because I was nominated by Kirsten from Kids are a Trip and she’s one of my favorite blogging moms. I would have been pleased just to have her send me a note saying she knew I existed, so sharing this fun award with me was truly exciting.
Here is how the Liebster Award works
- The Liebster Award is blogger nominated. You give it to someone who is new to blogging or has a smaller blog to help them gain recognition.
- The person who nominates you asks you 10 questions.
- You nominate 10 more blogs and ask them 10 questions.
Here are the questions that Kirsten asked me and the other nominees:
1) What is the story behind your blog name?
I was in the process (and still am) of trying to figure out what to do with myself now that my youngest started full-time school back in August. It was late one night and I was thinking about picking up some career search books like “What Color is Your Parachute?” and my nagging self-doubt, internal voice piped up saying “Your Parachute is Dusty!” I wrote more about it here.
2) What is your favorite blog post you have written?
Oddly enough, my favorite post didn’t involve much new writing, but instead was making fun of the ‘Child Care Instructions’ that I had written for my in-laws 8 years ago when they were kind enough to offer to watch my (then 1 year old) daughter. It’s funny because I just slapped together the whole thing one morning spur of the moment and when it got picked up on Redbook.com and Martinis and Minivans I thought to myself, “I really should have proofread that a little more closely”.
3) What was your first job and did you love it or hate it?
I started my first job the day after I turned 16. It was doing seasonal work at a Fred Meyer (like a Target) in the clothing department. My job primarily consisted of waxing the top of racks so that hangers slid more easily (yes, someone actually does that) and rehanging stuff. Boooooring. My next job at Dairy Queen was much more exciting….and delicious.
4) Looking back, what is the one piece of advice you would give your younger self?
You should keep playing the violin, even if it’s heavy and annoying to carry on the bus…and you should be nicer to your mom.
5) What do you enjoy doing when you’re not blogging?
I love to read, (just about to post a review on my advance copy of The Shell Collector, by Hugh Howey). I also run, when my running partner doesn’t allow me to flake out of it. And I am one of those annoying over-volunteer moms at my kids’ school. After hours, we have a lot of neighborhood ladies nights and I love Netflix/Hulu marathons with my husband of all the shows the rest of most people finished years ago (Dexter, Boardwalk Empire and True Blood, currently).
6) What’s your favorite holiday tradition (any holiday)?
Making my mom’s famous Spritz Christmas cookies with the kids. The cookies are one of my favorite childhood memories and I just love continuing the tradition with my kids.
7) What’s your biggest pet peeve?
I have 3 that tie for first place: People who cut in line, people who don’t use their blinkers when changing lanes and people who don’t show respect/make eye contact with the wait staff at restaurants.
8) What’s one item you never leave home without?
Some type of sweater or jacket in case I get chilly wherever we’re going. Stupid thyroid.
9) What is one item on your bucket list?
I have a dear friend, who started as a pen-pal as a 6th grade class project, who lives in France. She and I have met in person several times but our kids never have. My daughter started writing to her daughter a few years ago and I’m looking forward to the day when we all meet up together.
10) What is your favorite food to eat?
Oh man, I love pretty much everything. Not sure if margaritas are a ‘food’, so I would have to say cereal: Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Peanut Butter Puffins, to be exact.
And my nominees are…..
Now for the hard part: Coming up with a list of 10 other bloggers to nominate. I can think of hundreds of bloggers that I enjoy following and would love to ask 10 questions. The only problem is that since I’ve only been doing this for 3 ½ months, I’m not really sure who’s new or not and I don’t want anyone to be all “Hey new girl, who are YOU calling ME new here, I’ve been doing this for years!” and then I get permanently banned from Twitter and any future blogging conferences.
So, I’m selecting my list based on the bloggers that I think my friends would really enjoy following and who I think deserve even more followers and recognition, and who I would like to know more about, (especially since I don’t even know how long they’ve been blogging). A few that I do know aren’t new enough to be ‘new’ but I feel deserve the recognition are Two Cannoli , In Other Words and Using Our Words. Would love to see your answers too, but the 10 officially in the Liebster Hot Seat are:
(Okay, so that’s 11, but I’m a week late at turning this around so I added one for extra credit.)
Here are your questions:
- How long have you been blogging/how did you get started?
- Where’s your favorite place you have traveled?
- What book are you currently reading & would you recommend it?
- Did you used to peek at your presents when you were little and what was your most memorable childhood present?
- Where do you blog and how frequently?
- Who’s the funniest person you can think of?
- Describe your perfect meal
- What’s your #1 goal for 2015?
- Any pets? What type and names?
- What’s the hardest part about blogging for you?
I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s answers and to seeing the 10 people that you nominate. And thanks again to Kirsten at Kids are a Trip for thinking of me!